Monday, August 5, 2013

Window Frames Builder Card


I did a framelits themed workshop for one of my lovely customers over the weekend.  I wanted to show you a neat card that I made and demonstrated at the workshop! I made it using the Window Frames Collection framelits.  The Window Frames collection consists of 6 layering dies with the largest die being 12.5 x 12.5cm.  Typically it co-ordinates with the Friendship Preserves & Forever with You Stamp Sets, but since I don't own either of these, I had to check out the stamp sets that I did have to find something that would tuck nicely into one of this shape framelit.

The stamp set I ended up using was From my Heart.  It has 8 beautiful & decorative greetings stamps.  The reason I bought this stamp set, is because one of the greetings says "They say this too shall pass, they just never say when."  My mum's FAVOURITE thing to say to is..... "it'll pass"!!! How could I not have it?  


So back to the card! I've used 4 of the 6 different size framelits.  If you take a look at the photo above of the framelits, I have numbered them 1-6.  I used numbers 2,3,4 & 5 on this card.  

This isn't your regular type card.  All I have as the base is a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock (#121685) cut at 14.8 x 10.5cm (1/4 of an A4 sheet).  I then cut out my largest framelit - #5 in Smoky Slate (#131291), and embossed it using my Chevron Embossing Folder (#127749).  I scored it after the first square corner and put some adhesive on the tab and stuck it down to the back of the Crumb Cake cardstock.  Next I cut out framelit #4 out of Soft Sky (#131292) and used my Travel Journal Wheel (#126937) to decorate it in Soft Sky ink (#131181). I once again scored after the first square, put on some adhesive on the tab and stuck it on the other side of the Crumb Cake cardstock. Chances are you're confused, so check out the picture below!


 Next was framelit #3 in Daffodil Delight (#121680).  That one was super easy, it was just stuck straight down on top of the Soft Sky piece. Then I cut my piece of Crumb Cake Seam Binding Ribbon (#122332) and using adhesive I secured it across the back.  You need to tape it down on the back or else it will be flopping all around when your card recipient opens up the card to read the message! 
Then I used one of my favourite Antique Brads (#117273)!! Using my paper piercing tool (#126189) I popped a hole through the ribbon & soft sky cardstock on the front, and put in the brad and fastened it on the back.  I really like the "compass" style brad, but really, any of the 5 designs would look fab.


And now all that is left to do is the greeting on top! I pulled  out a couple of scraps of Very Vanilla cardstock (#106550), and on one piece I stamped the greeting in Crumb Cake (#126975) and on the other I stamped it again in Daffodil Delight (#126944).  Using framelit #2 I cut out the greeting through the Big Shot (#113439).  I then cut out by hand the "friendship" banner.  Using dimensionals (#104430) I adhered both greeting pieces down on top.  

Now all that is left to do, is tie your ribbon in a bow, and you have yourself a fun, different builder card.  What I love about this design, is you could adapt it to suit whatever colour inks or cardstocks you have, you can change the greeting stamp to whatever you have, you could use a different brad, or even a button.  It is such a great versatile layout that can be adapted to suit your stash.  


Christy

No comments: